If you're a small business and you're not using Facebook for advertising, we have a really big question for you: Why not?!?!?
There are currently an estimated 1.39 billion monthly Facebook users, and more than 30 million businesses now have a Facebook fan page. What's more, in the first three months of 2016, more than $5.2 billion was spent on Facebook advertising- $2 billion more than during the same time period in 2015.
Facebook advertising is an easy-to-use and easy-to-measure way of getting the word out about your small business- both near and far. With the ability to hyper-target your ads based on geographic area and interests, you can ensure your ads get delivered to the people most likely to take advantage of your products or services. Plus, Facebook offers so many variations of analytics to study; you can easily track the effectiveness of one ad over the others, and you have the ability to change your ads at any time. There are countless success stores of small businesses investing small portions of their marketing budgets into Facebook advertising, and seeing huge results in return.
Have we convinced you yet? If so, here are some great tips to keep handy when launching your first- or next- Facebook advertising campaign:
- Increase awareness of your business and start increasing sales: If you want to raise local awareness of your business, utilize the "local awareness ad" campaign objective to bring people to your business, whether you have a single store or multiple locations. The ads show people the stores nearest to them and offer relevant call-to-actions like "Get Directions." Facebook also just launched a native store locator to help people find and navigate to the nearest store location, all within the ad format. Other marketing objectives for your ads include: Promote Your Page, Send People to your Website, Get Installs of Your App, Get Video Views, Increase Conversions to Your Website, Get People to Claim Your Offer, and Promote a Product Catalog.
- Be sure you're displaying your ads on mobile devices: We cannot emphasize this enough! Out of the estimated 1.39 billion current monthly Facebook users, 1.19 billion of them use Facebook on their mobile devices. More than 700 million people visit Facebook every day on their phones and tablets. What's more, 19 million businesses have optimized their page for mobile devices, and 1.5 million spend money on mobile advertising. In the first three months of 2016, mobile advertising revenue represented about 82% of advertising revenue for the first quarter. So, if you're not including mobile in your displays, you're losing out on valuable sales opportunities!
- When creating/selecting photos to utilize in your ads, be sure the ad shows the benefit that people get for your product, not just a photo of the product itself.
- Make sure your ad image doesn't have more than 20% of its pixels in text; Facebook's handy grid tool helps you out here. Facebook also has rules governing how much text can be in the first few seconds of video ads; be sure to check them out before spending too long creating the ad, just to get it rejected.
- Utilize Facebook's cool new write-your-own-video-captions feature for your small business's next video ad. This is a very new feature Facebook recently added. Yes, this means you spend more time creating your video ads than before, but you can't count on users to click on the video in their stream and actually listen to the ad. They may just see it in their stream without sound; if you write attention-grabbing captions in the beginning, they are more likely to actually click on the video and, possibly, watch it all the way through. Facebook found with Nielsen that up to 47% of the value in a video campaign was delivered in the first 3 seconds, while up to 74% was delivered in the first 10 seconds. Plus, Facebook has found that captioned video ads increase view time by an average of 12%, so spend some time creating killer captions!